Thursday 24 October 2013

The Non Religious Guide to Prayer



I read something the other day that really resonated with me. A sentence within an article basically said that we should make healthy decisions not only for our body, but for our mind. That's kind of thought provoking, don't you think? We don't talk a lot about the taboo of mental health, but that's exactly what I perceived the author to be saying. We always think of our dietary intake and our exercise as being the healthy habits to concentrate on, but what about our mind? Yes, there are things like meditation (which I do) and affirmations (which I also do), but what about something a bit more mainstream? How about not making yourself feel like shit for not being over-the-rainbow-happy every day, and feeling there's something wrong with you because of that? How about not comparing your body, which is perfectly beautiful, to the supermodel in that magazine? How about just staying in bed because you feel you need to that day? How about just being kind to yourself a few times a day when those ugly thoughts pop into your head. Yeah, those thoughts. The ones that feel like they've always been with you, and they have been there so long that you aren't sure where or how they originated. Just give yourself the freedom to not berate yourself for feeling less than stellar every single day in this age of "if you're not happy, you're obviously not grateful". Some days I feel like shit, but that doesn't mean I don't love my family and it doesn't mean I am not grateful to have a home to shelter me and food to fill me.

Another thing that has been shown to be good for mental health is praying. The thing is you won't find me in any church pew pouring my heart out. That's just not me, and if I was to do that I would be so uncomfortable that it wouldn't do me any good anyway. I think that praying is really about giving yourself a break, unshouldering your burdens, and searching for answers, and if that is the case, there are other ways to pray. Always pray with an attitude of self love and self care. That does not mean getting plastered! Treat yourself with love, like you would treat the five-year-old you. Look at a five-year-old. They are innocent and curious, wanting nothing more than to laugh and be loved. Pray in ways that that still your mind. Take a nap. Have a bath when your body needs one. Go for a run. Write in your journal. Talk with a friend. Go hiking. For hours. Be in nature. Forgive yourself. Forgive others.

What ways do you pray?

6 comments:

  1. Ms. Vollick, your constant reflection, ambition, thoughtfulness gives me hope in people. It reminds me of my mother, as she ages I must bring up difficult topics such as what she would like to have done in regards to her health when it will eventually fail. She is a testament of living/life, through the ups and downs, surviving Japanese occupation, being a refugee in South Korea having fled the North when communism took hold, working around europe as a nurse's aid, sending money home to support the family, and risk taking every step of the way. Coming to Canada and eventually succumbing to my Dad's persistence. She made him a risk taker in life.

    My mom...yes my mommy said, "Thomas, I am not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of not living", looked at me knowingly in terms of decisions I must prepare to make for her dignity and to respect her life. I don't think she looks at her life in terms of success' or failures, but rather being part of a continuum where she has been able to leave a mark to those who surround and love her.

    You remind me of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy, this is probably the greatest compliment I have ever received. To be compared to a woman of such amazing character is an absolute honour. Thank you <3

      Delete
  2. Another beautiful contribution Paula! You too Tommy, seriously! I have tears in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angeli :) You aren't the only one who was teary after reading Tommy's comment!

      Delete
    2. I'm like onions...the secret is to not become attached to me before cutting me :P

      Delete
    3. I'll keep that in mind, Tommy ;)

      Delete