Saturday 14 September 2013

My Life as a Paeds Nurse

A short look into my work life, which I do love. Most parents are super appreciative (thank you for bringing coffee or food in for the nurses, we are so grateful!) but not all of them can understand the limitations of my role as a nurse.

First, let me say I am so sorry that your child is sick and in the hospital. No, you're right, I do not know what it's like to have a child that ill, but I do have children that I love dearly and I can absolutely empathize with what you are going through. I know you are exhausted and beside yourself with worry. You may have a strong support system of a spouse, family and friends, or you may be all alone in a new place with no one to lean on. I will do my best to support you in any way that I can, because although my top priority is your child, you are a direct extension of that child. I am sorry that I am not able to get your child fresh vegetables to eat in the middle of the night. I would like to, but my hands are tied as to what we actually carry on our floor, and the cafeteria is closed. Government cutbacks, you know. I am not able to change a doctor's order, or make an order myself. I cannot put the rate of your child's IV up to where you think it should be. I cannot give your child anything to make them go to sleep because you are tired, we aren't allowed to do that. I'm sorry that you feel you are not getting enough attention. I try to give my patients all of the attention I can, but I am looking after three other precious children in addition to yours. I am sorry I am not able to give you a private room or your own bed to sleep on. I know sharing a room with another family and sleeping on a pull-out cot is an inconvenience but believe it or not, that's actually good news. The big private rooms are our ICU rooms, so the smaller the room you get, the less sick your child is compared with the kids who have to go into those ICU rooms. That's good news, no? And in the grand scheme of things, it's only a few days and nights of that inconvenience out of the rest of your life with your child. I do my best for you, and sometimes you feel that it isn't enough. And sometimes it isn't, because I can only do what I am allowed to do, but yelling at me or belittling me doesn't change this. All in all, no matter what your background, where you live, or what your income is I will not judge you but do my best to advocate for your child. I understand your frustration with the medical system because, even though I am a part of it, I become frustrated with it as well. When you take your frustration out on me, I understand why you are doing it and I try not to take it personally, but in all honesty sometimes it hurts. I am a your nurse, but I am a person with feelings too. Let's work together for your child.

Sincerely,
Your Paeds Nurse

No comments:

Post a Comment